Seeking Fair Custody of Your Child?

Our Portland Custody Lawyer Assists Fathers With Child Custody Modification

Child custody documentOur Portland custody lawyer Ronald Allen Johnston has extensive experienced in helping fathers facing child custody issues and other family litigation matters in Oregon since 1976. He assists fathers that are divorced or unmarried, and helps them find resolution for their child custody cases in the most efficient manner. This helps ensure that the child or children have significant access and parenting time with both parents. If a father wishes to pursue a child custody modification and/or receive primary custody of a child, Ron Johnston believes fathers should be on level playing fields with mothers.

Oregon Modification of Child Custody Orders

Having primary custody of your child after a divorce provides you with the peace of mind that they are be providing for with all the care they deserve and that you would afford them. If you are unhappy with your current custody situation, you may qualify with the state of Oregon for a change to your child custody orders. However, the state court cannot simply reorder joint or sole custody. You must be able to show evidence that:

  • The primary parent is unfit or unable to properly care for the child.
  • The request to modify the custody orders is in the best interests of the child.
  • The beneficial qualities of changing the order exceed any negative effects of the instability it would cause.
  • One of the involved parties in the custody order is unwilling or unable to continue participating in by the original terms of agreement.

Modification of Parenting Time Plans in Oregon

During the modification of a child custody agreement, you will be asked to decide on and agree to the amount of parenting time, (previously called “visitation”), each parent will have with the child. Similar to custody, parenting time is also based upon the best interests of the child. Parenting time plans vary depending on the specific needs of the child. In some cases, the court may order the time a parent has with the child to be supervised, or for the parent to receive counseling, participate in parenting classes or refrain from drinking alcohol or using drugs during visits.

Ronald Johnston understands what is needed by the court so that you could potentially be granted a child custody modification. Our Portland custody attorney also knows how some courts tend to not grant fathers primary custody. We will work with your unique child custody situation to guarantee your rights are upheld and you are given the opportunity to have equal say as to where your child calls home. Contact us today to get started.

Comments are closed.